Friday, April 23, 2010

Prairie Goulash - Some Comfort Food

A couple of weeks ago, before the weather turned good and then bad and before my life got crazy preparing for our conference, I had a real craving for comfort food. I pulled out my big ol' binder of recipes that I've been collecting since junior high and found this one. I originally found it in an Alberta Pork Producers recipe book that I was given in my Food Science 10 class. I won't mention how long ago that was. But, good recipes stand the test of time and this one remains a family favourite.



Prairie Goulash

2 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1" pieces
1/4 cup flour
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 tbsp paprika
2 cups beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp caraway seeds
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cup sour cream

Dredge pork in flour. In heavy saucepan, heat oil. Add pork gradually and brown well. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are tender. Stir in paprika. Add remaining ingredients except sour cream. Cover and simmer until pork is tender, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf. Add salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in sour cream or serve seperately.

Makes 4 - 6 servings

I usually serve this on either egg noodles or fresh spatzle. It goes wonderfully with a side of red cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment